4.18.2010

leftovers

Although I like to think that I'm not a picky eater, I am when it comes to leftovers. A couple of things you'll never see me eat leftover are sandwiches, salads, and anything else with lettuce in it. Today, though, I was pretty happy with leftover use, so thought I'd share with you.

Remember the vodka sauce I made a while back? Well, I froze the extra because it made a lot -- and it turns out it actually does freeze very well. It may sound weird, but we had a little bit of rotini and a little bit of gnocchi but not enough of one for a meal alone -- so made what we had of each and put them together. There was also a little bit of spaghetti sauce in the fridge, so we mixed that in with some of the vodka sauce from the freezer, to use what we had -- served with some grilled shrimp kabobs. It tasted great! ... and used up some of those randoms we had laying around. That was lunch.

We also had some leftover chicken from grilling yesterday, so I cut it up into small pieces, put in a deep skillet with the frozen veggies in the freezer that had partial bags (california medly, peas, corn). I added some mushrooms, chicken broth, and some spices (just a little of each) that were sitting on the counter -- salt, pepper, lawrey's, montreal grillin' spice, and garlic salt. After thickening the mixture with flour, I put into a 9x9 glass baking pan and made some Jiffy cornbread muffin mix and spread it over the top. After 20 minutes in the oven, we had a yummy cornbread chicken potpie (or something like that!). It was good, and there is now a lot less leftover sitting around, which is nice. Score 1 for less waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!