1.14.2015

unstuffed cabbage rolls

As promised on Facebook, I am posting this recipe I got from my aunt Pam. :) I made a request for different kinds of soup to get me out of a rut since I've pretty much been making chili and chicken noodle soup, and occasionally beef stew. I've been trying to freeze soup to keep on hand for quick dinners and, thanks to my FB friends, I have some new options!

Pam sent me this recipe for Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls which, without rice, is soupy -- and with rice is not. I found the recipe she sent online here... and pretty much followed it. The  only major change was that, instead of using 2 regular cans of diced tomatoes, I used Pam's suggestion and substituted one can of Rotel tomatoes for a bit of spice. I'm glad I did!

So, here is how I did it:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic (original recipe calls for 1)
1 small cabbage
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, regular
1 (14 oz.) can Rotel tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. sea salt

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Saute onions until tender, and then add ground beef to brown. Add garlic. Then add remaining ingredients. The recipe notes this is the time to add rice if you want - if you do, do it before you add the cabbage -- otherwise you have to wait until the cabbage cooks down. Trust me.

I used only 1/4 c. rice, which is optional. Mine still had a soupy texture, but you could easily add 1/2 c. and make it a bit thicker. I would imagine more rice would make it kind of like a hot dish or a stew.

In any case, it was yummy - I'll be making this again! Now I just need to figure out which other soup I'll try next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!