3.27.2010

how to deal with a bad apple

Ok, maybe not a bad apple, but ones sitting on your counter or in your fridge that won't be good for much longer. I always have the highest of intentions of eating all of the fruit I buy, but that seldom works out. This morning, we had four apples and two pears that were on the verge, so in an effort to try something new and not waste I made some apple sauce (with pear)... which was very good.



Apple (pear) Sauce
4 apples
2 pears
1 c. water
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 c. sugar

Chop apples and pears into small pieces and cook at a slow boil in a covered medium saucepan with water, cinnamon, and sugar until soft; once it's getting soft, if you find you have excess liquid, remove the cover to reduce the liquid until it's no longer runny. Use a masher to mash the sauce to a consistency you like.

Serve warm or cold - it's good either way! I topped it with a sprinkle of cinnamon, mostly because I thought it was pretty. :)

I was using sweeter apples (braeburn and ambrosia), so didn't need much sugar. If you're using a tart apple, you could add a little more sugar to make sure it's sweet enough. The pears were a nice touch, as you could taste them a little, but it was mostly apple-y goodness.

So, if you find yourself in the situation I often do where you'll be throwing out apples soon, I highly recommend this as a quick, tasty, less wasteful alternative.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Brenda, I enjoy your writings so much! I can finally bring them up easier, high speed at last!!!! New address, galgr@q.com

    See you on Easter! Aunt Belva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia Child, whoops!, I mean Brenda...you do such a great job at this!!! I really think you could do the Julie/Julia thing with all of these great recipes :) Oh, the pear/apple sauce looks just like something Grandma would have made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more comment, that was Colene's comment, not Jamie's!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jamie... I mean Colene!! ;) It is fun. And you're right - grandma would have made something like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!