10.17.2010

3-0

Most of you know that I just hit a new milestone... and turned 30 on Friday. It's interesting to turn 30 because people have a lot of opinions about it. And there is a stigma around it that people think that the person turning 30 is going to have a meltdown or go into denial. We've all heard of the people who turn 29 again and again because they're in denial. Fortunately, most people have been supportive and tell me that this is a good thing - and that they love being in their 30s. One person said 'Ohhh, that sucks!' I choose to ignore that person.

I'm actually kind of excited about it. Turning 30 isn't bad, or scary, or the end of the world. It's not that much different than being 29, so far. And I think there are a lot of good things that will come with it.

Mom and I joked about it because she says whenever she used to try to tell me about the day I was born, I would say 'not this again...' But since I found out that I was nameless in the hospital for a couple of days, I like to bring that up. This year, I told her that I was looking forward to my 30th birthday... and a few days later, the 30th anniversary of having a name. :) I think, though, that it was worth the wait because my name seems to fit me well.

I got a few cards (thank you!) and my mom finished my APO quilt. I had given her a bunch of my old APO t-shirts from college and asked her if she could make me a quilt or pillows with them since I didn't wear them anymore, but they mean enough to me that I didn't want to toss them. So, for my birthday I got a card with a picture of the finished product and I love it!! Thanks, Mom!


So how did I spend my birthday? First, I didn't work. I never take my birthday off, but it was a Friday and I thought a long weekend would be a nice way to celebrate. My awesome friend Keri took the day off, too, and took me to lunch and made appointments for us to get our hair and nails done. I did haircut and manicure and she got highlights. Then I went home and changed, and we went out to dinner with a group of great friends and my brother at Cooper in St. Louis Park (an Irish pub). After Cooper, we hit Toby Keith's I Love This Bar for drinks, listened to the bands, even danced a bit, and played some Buck Hunter (a hunting video game). Here's some photos from the night.




So, they say 30 is the new 20. I'm not sure about that, but what I do know is that even though there are a few things that I cannot do as well as I did at 20, there are a LOT of things I can do better at 30. So, bring it on.

Thanks to Keith, Jennifer, Abby, Coral, Shannon, Emily, Keri, Kari, Bryce, and Kat for celebrating with me. And to those who send cards, FB posts, and phone calls. You guys rock!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you had a nice party. Thanks for posting. My mom the quilter said your t-shirt quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, great post, It is probably harder for your Mom to have her baby turning 30 than it is for you to turn 30. Looks like you had a lot of fun with great friends. MOM

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!