8.10.2010

college food (grown up... a little)

I've been thinking about college a lot lately. And there are parts that I miss a lot - my friends, the ability to pull an all-nighter, the parties, APO, and having a respectable tolerance. And there are things I don't miss - homework, having little money, working at Perkins (though I liked the people... just not smelling like a french fry when I got home).

So I started thinking about how things were different. My diet is better now - not perfect, but more balanced. I think we all had our staples at that time - some of mine were:
  • ramen (of course)
  • pizza (thank you Toppers and Papa Johns)
  • erberts & gerberts (yum!)
  • frozen veggies (often with parmesan)
  • bread bowl salads (I worked at Perkins, remember?)
  • popcorn (because it was free at Brother's happy hour)
  • and one of my favorites: buttered noodles

Tonight I decided to make buttered noodles - but like a post-college adult. At least that's what I'm telling myself because there is paprika, chicken (protein), and better parmesan --- not just: noodle, butter, salt, artificial parmesan-like substance. And sometimes, if I want to be really fancy, I'll put vegetables in, too. I've come a long way, baby! ;-)

I'd like to hear about your favorite college/young adult life foods. And if you eat them now, are they the same? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Fried egg noodles, exactly the same as mom always made them during lent! Yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuna noodle casserole made out of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and a can of tuna. Now I use egg noodles and either cheddar cheese or velveeta, mushroom soup and tuna.

    Also I used to eat steakums. I haven't had those in years.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!