11.13.2010

snow day

The first snowfall of the year is upon us - at least those in the Twin Cities metro. I surprised myself that my reaction when I stepped outside this morning was 'Oh, that's pretty.'  It was that heavy, sticky snow that sticks to the tree branches and covers them almost completely.  The type of snow that is also good for snowballs and snowmen.
First snow of 2010 - 11.13.10 around 7:30 a.m.

A few years ago, this was not my reaction.  The first snowfall of the season during those years was not pretty.  It made me sad, crabby, and generally unpleasant.  But it was only the first snow - anything after was fine.  At some point (post-college) I started to grow up (read: suck it up/put on my big girl pants).  The feeling of this day went from pure displeasure, to annoyance, to indifference, to today's reaction: 'Oh, that's pretty.'    And while I'm not sure I'll ever get to a point where I'll wake up on this day and say 'Yay, Yay, Yay! It snowed!' it is a better life when you wake up and accept it for the beauty that it is.  And then return inside where it's warm and cozy. :)

I spent most of the day relaxing at the house and watched movies.  I saw Up, Nola, and now I'm watching Tuck Everlasting (again-it's been years...)  When they cleared the roads, I ventured to Target to get out and get a couple of supplies. And I made mom's pizza burger recipe from the church cookbook. 

Several people have asked 'how much snow did you end up getting?'  A lot.  I'm terrible at at judging amounts of any precipitation.  Instead, I'll show you - this is what my car looked like at around 11 a.m. today.  And then it kept snowing for a couple of hours - so a couple more inches maybe beyond that?  

I'll never have a job as a weather person... 

11.13.10 - 11 a.m.


1 comment:

  1. that's a ton of snow for a first, pre-Thanksgiving snow. Thankfully I was in sunny Tennessee when you experienced this. I'm not totally on board with the "oh that's pretty" big girl reaction to snow yet. I really need to move south.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!