12.03.2011

more eggs

So, over the last few days, there's been some new activity (thanks, Nel - haha!) on an old post that Mom did as a guest post about Home Comfort Foods. In that post, Mom shared a couple of egg dishes she grew up on and that I, subsequently, grew up on. And still make sometimes as an adult.

In the spirit of home foods and to follow-up on the flurry of activity and comments on that other post, I thought I'd share another egg dish I grew up on. As you probably know, I grew up on a farm and so when Mom went to work during the day, we stayed home with Dad on the farm. One of our regular breakfasts that he made for us was Eggs and Crackers. Apparently this is something that Grandma K. made when he was growing up.


This morning, we had this for breakfast - I sauteed some onions in butter, and then poured in some beaten eggs (with about 1 Tbsp. of milk). When it was about half done, I added some coarsely crushed saltine crackers and folded it in as we finished the eggs. Salt and pepper. It was delicious, with some toast and the apple butter my brother made this fall. Mmm....

You might be saying "crackers in eggs??" And you might be giving me a virtual "weirdo" look. But, it's good.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

What are the foods you remember most from growing up that you still make today?

1 comment:

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!