7.05.2010

sweet!

Potatoes, that is. Remember how I mentioned that I needed you to excuse the quality of my photos for a few weeks? Good news, my excuses are now over because I have my camera back. And now I can post about the sweet potato pie we made a few weeks ago.

June seems like a weird time for sweet potato pie because it seems like it is typically made around Thanksgiving or Christmas. But as you may be able to tell, I don't always pay attention to timing. I want to try it.... now. Patience is not my thing. But I digress. I love sweet potatoes, but wasn't sure what I would think of them in a pie form. Turns out, it's great! Kind of similar to pumpkin pie, but different. Because it's not pumpkin, I suppose.

Sweet Potato Pie
2 c. sweet potato
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. white sugar
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust (I used deep-dish)

Boil potatoes until done, then drain and peel. Mash sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add butter and mix well with a mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth.

Pour filling into pie crust and bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees until done (when a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean).

Cool before serving. Top with whipped cream.

This turned out very tasty and dad now has a new favorite dessert. In fact, this weekend I was making shortcake and he asked if I was making his sweet potato pie - and he was disappointed he wouldn't be getting any. Because this was a few weeks ago, I don't remember all the details, but I think that with the portions, I ended up with some extra mixture, so it may be worth your while to have an extra (non-deep dish) pie crust on hand in case you need to make a second one. Also, when you make the sweet potatoes, it's hard to figure out how to cook up just two cups, but they are good on their own, so you can just eat the leftover.

Give it a try! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you haven't had this before.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I'd like a sweet potato in this form, since I don't just love them normally. But I do love pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!