6.26.2010

breakfast w/ berries

I asked around a bit about what you can do with strawberries besides eat over shortcake and ice cream, or make jam (which I'm not brave enough to try, yet).  Someone had mentioned strawberries on pancakes... brilliant!  I know they do that at some restaurants, but never considered doing it myself.  Sometimes 2+2=5, right?  Anyway, that's what I did this morning, because we had everything here, including the strawberries already cut and ready. 

Pancakes
1 1/2 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 egg
3 Tbsp. butter (melted)
1 1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a medium or large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and sugar.  In another bowl, mix milk, melted butter, vanilla, and egg until blended.  Create a silo in the flour mixture, then pour in the milk mixture and stir until mixed well.  Fry in large frying pan at the pancake sizes you want, using canola oil. 

The original recipe I looked at also had 1 tsp of salt in it, but I forgot.  It didn't seem to make a difference though.  I've always wondered why recipes have only 1 tsp or less of salt, like it matters.  And it may.  I have no idea, so would love to hear from you if you know why salt is in recipes for things you wouldn't expect - what's the purpose?

Vanilla extract was an add-on because I wanted to see how it would taste.  The pancakes were yummy, so it obviously didn't hurt, although I didn't really taste it that much, so I'm not sure it made it better either. :) 

We served strawberries over the top, which was great... because I love strawberries!  It also adds a little bit of freshness to the heavy texture of the pancakes.  Eggs were added as a side as well because I'm a spaz about that ever since a friend of mine told me that when you eat things that are heavy for breakfast like pancakes, french toast, waffles, etc... you should eat an egg to get the protein and it helps with digestion etc... and makes you a better person.  It may be a myth, but I'm not taking my chances.  And eggs are good.

After breakfast, my friend Kim was nice enough to let me come and pick raspberries with her (thanks, Kim!!!).  As I write, I'm eating those over ice cream.  Fun fact:  raspberries taste good on butter pecan ice cream.

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Brenda, you can also blend some strawberries with a lil sugar and a banana and add it right into your pancake batter. It makes for super awsome strawberry banana pancakes. Also workd well with those just add milk/water muffin mixes. :)

    ~Genni

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!