6.06.2010

five buck cluck

On Thursday, I went to the store to get some things for the house -- and had a craving for chicken salad sandwiches sometime this weekend, so I bought some pre-made chicken salad -- or so I thought. I got home from work on Friday to find that a) I bought ham salad that must have been in the wrong slot at the store and b) someone had already eaten some of that, anyway. Fortunately, the store has $5 rotisserie chicken on Friday nights (get it? 5 buck cluck) and I had the rest of the stuff laying around to make it myself. Win! Back to the store...


I didn't really measure, but here's approximately what I did. I took the meat off of the rostisserie chicken and put it in the freezer to cool because it was still pretty warm. While it cooled, I diced 1.5 stalks of celery and 1 very small onion. Then I cut the cooled chicken into small pieces, and put it in a large bowl with the celery and onion. I mixed it with Hellman's light mayo until I had the consistency I like for chicken salad, and then added a couple of tablespoons of ranch dressing. I also added some pepper and paprika - and you can put in as much or as little as you like, depending on taste. After mixing well, I put this in the fridge until I finished prepping the sandwich - toasting the bun halves in the oven, and adding a little cheese to melt. Once the bun halves were toasted and the cheese was melted, I topped with chicken salad and some fire-roasted red peppers.

My only disappointment was that I expected the red peppers to be spicier, but they were not at all. Next time, I think I'll use banana peppers or add some relish to the chicken salad and see how that works. And for those of you who have easy access to the Caledonia Bakery, I'm sure it would be better on their buns. I'm jealous of you. But all-in-all, it was good, and the toasted buns made for a nice sandwich. I just served the sandwich with some cut fresh strawberries. yum. :)

If you have suggestions for chicken salad to make it interesting, I would love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. Brenda - I just made chicken salad last week before seeing this post obviously! Great minds think alike :) I too used Hellman's (reg, not low fat, you are good!), I did like 2 parts mayo to 1 part sour cream. I added walnuts, toasted in butter, fresh chives, poppy seeds along with your celery and onion and also added green grapes (quartered), lemon juice and orange juice - it sounds odd, but, oh, it was SO good! I had it on crescent rolls, but, they were dry so I actually did go to the bakery and got some of that tear apart parkerhouse bread :) NUM! - Holly

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!