2.23.2011

sharing!

When it comes to cooking, I like sharing.  I like making dinner for friends, bringing sweets to work (so they aren't in my house - wink wink)... and exchanging recipes when you find one that's super good!  I've gotten some good ones from some of you - which I appreciate.  And some of them are still in my inbox so they don't get forgotten because I want to try them, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  A couple that I've made that come off the top of my head are Chelsey's potato pancakes and her recommendation for chicken pot pie, Jenny's tuscan garlic chicken, and any number of things that mom has taught me over the years. 

In my inbox, I know I have a pasta dish Chelsey sent me, colcannon from Dianne, and Shrimp Victoria from Holly - and they all sound good, so I need to get them on my shopping list soon!  Last week, though, I took another recommendation from Jenny, and it was, again sooo good.  Probably really bad for me, but sometimes it's worth it.

Poppy Seed Chicken
3 c. chicken - diced small
1 tsp. poppy seeds
1 can cream of celery soup
8 oz. sour cream
Crushed crackers (Ritz or Townhouse)
6 Tbsp. butter (melted)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix chicken, soup, and sour cream together in a casserole dish.  Sprinkle poppy seeds on top of the chicken mixture.  Cover with crushed crackers and pour the melted butter over the top.  Bake for 30 minutes uncovered. 



Here are my notes on this:
  • Normally people use cream of chicken soup, I think, with this - but Jenny recommended the cream of celery and it did give it a different flavor, in a good way!
  • I was skeptical and thought it would maybe be bland because there aren't really any spices in it.  But apparently there is enough it he crackers / soup to make this tasty.  It didn't need anything else (not even salt and pepper)
  • For the crackers, I used Townhouse Garlic and Herb crackers - yum
  • I really think this would be an awesome filling for pot pie if you added some veggies
  • I ate it with toast.  I think others eat it on buns as sandwiches
So, Jenny - thanks for sharing! (again)  If anyone else has something good to share, feel free to email it to me or to do a guest post here!

And I'm curious... have you made anything I've shared?

2 comments:

  1. I have made this with leftover chicken and it is very good. I have tried your cabbage recipe and we loved it. a different way to make cabbage. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the cabbage, mom. I bet it was really good with the homemade ring bologna!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!