8.22.2011

cherries

I had some cherries that I bought at the farmers market and they had been sitting for almost a week - so it was time to take action. I don't really know what to do with cherries like this except for eat them plain. Do you? Ideas welcome for next time.


So, this time I tried using them in cupcakes. First, I put the cherries in about 1/4 c. water and 1 Tbsp. sugar in a small pan and boiled them (stirring frequently). They didn't really sauce-up like my blueberries did... but they did soften, so when they were soft, I drained them (keeping the juice), let them cool, and then squeezed the pits out. I put the cherries (less pits) and juice into my food processor, and chopped it up. I think I ended up with 1.5 c. of cherry mash (that's what I've decided to name it.) This was probably more work than it was worth...

I made this recipe for white cake, subbing 1 tsp. of almond extract for one of the tsps of vanilla. I added the cherry mash, and gave it a whirl as cupcakes. I baked them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and that was perfect.

Then, I used this butter cream frosting recipe for the top.

They're pretty tasty, but as I said before, the whole cherry prep was probably more work than it needed to be. Oh well, fun to try something new.


Here's the finished product.By the way, it's one of my pet peeves when I see someone post a picture on a recipe site for cake - and you can't even see the cake. Just the frosting. If people want to put a picture of a decorated cake, put it on the frosting recipe. :) And don't worry, I'm not talking about you - just in general.

 


 My cake is not decorative, so here's a picture of the actual cake - it was kind of purple-y:


 And then I remembered I had kept a cherry for the picture. Now it's decorative:

 
 So, what else can I do with cherries like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!