8.21.2011

something old, something new

This past week seemed exceptionally busy - work during the day and something almost every evening. And then Friday I was sick (booo). Yesterday was spent at home (yay!) doing laundry, etc... I'm not sure about you, but when I have those weeks where I'm gone all week and eating out a lot, the only thing I want is something made at home. It could even be macaroni and cheese, but as long as it's made at home, I'm happy. And when it's better than macaroni and cheese, that's even better!

There was lots of at-home food happening this weekend, and it was awesome. I bought buttermilk yesterday to make corn fritters that we saw on Down Home with the Neelys on the Food Network. (They were good, but I didn't take a picture, so I'll make again and post sometime soon.) Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever made anything with buttermilk before. So, now I have all this buttermilk to use and am determined to use it all and not let it waste.

So, this morning, I made pancakes with buttermilk - but not regular buttermilk pancakes. I found this recipe for Brown Sugar Oatmeal Pancakes on Allrecipes.com. I'm pretty sure this is going to be my go-to pancake recipe because I loved them - and it's all stuff I normally have in the house (except buttermilk, which I understand you can 'make your own', so we're good.) I followed the directions exactly, except I used all-purpose flour for all flour, because I didn't have wheat flour.


Brown Sugar Oatmeal Pancakes
(this is my something new - I've never tried this one before)
10 Tbsp. quick cooking oats
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. brown sugar (packed)
1 c. buttermilk
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 egg

Mix dry ingredients well in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl (I used my food processor and whisk attachment), beat the egg, oil and buttermilk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Pour batter by 1/3 cupful onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until the second side is golden brown.

And my something old? Instead of syrup, I used up some blueberries I bought this week on sale and made blueberry breakfast sauce that I've made before - and it was yummy! (again)



The best part? It's all pretty fast, to do!

Now, I'm making refrigerator pickles to replace the mistake ones I made last weekend (more on that soon).

Also, if you're interested in checking out some of the other things I've made, you can check out the food archive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!