9.04.2011

a nice fall day

OK, so maybe it's not fall, yet... but it sure felt like it this morning. It was a little dreary and cool enough so that I needed my sweater. I'm going to be sad to see summer go, because I know that winter is coming then... but Fall is my favorite, so I'm looking forward to it!

So, (unrelated) I learned a lesson on this nice fall (feeling) day: Always dress in a way that you're prepared for the unexpected. I couldn't sleep last night until about 3 a.m. and, consequently, I was a little late getting up to get ready for church this morning. So, I got up, put on jeans (nice ones, no rips, holes, or the like) and a black sweater, threw my black flip flops on and ran out the door. Oh, and I did comb my hair and put it in a ponytail. I showered late last night, so I was not the smelly kid, either.  But, when I got there, Pastor stopped me on the way in...

(I'm paraphrasing here)

Pastor: We have another family joining - do you want to do the new member welcome in front of church with them?

Me: Today?

Pastor: Yes - sorry for the short notice.

Me: Um... (looks down at what I'm wearing) I probably would have dressed a bit differently if I would have known...

Pastor: It's OK, we can do yours another time if you want. Just thought I'd see if you wanted to do it with them.

Me: Ummmm... that might be a good idea.

I started to walk away and turned around and went back to him.

Me: You know, why not... I think I'm OK.

Pastor: I think it's fine - and it's a small crowd this morning.

Me: Let's do it.

And, it was fine. I wasn't dressed like a hobo, or anything, but I probably would have forgone the jeans and flip flops had I known. Argh... lesson learned.

Anyway - back to how it was a fall (feeling) day - the grocery store had apples on sale because it's getting to be that time of year so I bought some, some pre-cooked smoked pork chops (awesome) and some green and yellow zucchini. Here's what I ended up with for lunch:


I grilled the pre-cooked smoked pork chop to heat it up - these things are awesome. They're delicious and don't take very long to make since you just have to heat it up. I cut the zucchini up and sauteed it with some olive oil, salt, and pepper - and it was mighty tasty. My typical mistake with this kind of stuff is being too light on the seasoning, but today I did well. :)  And the apples, I sauteed in a bit of butter with honey, and sprinkled with cinnamon and a tiny bit of nutmeg. I went light on the seasoning with the apples, but that worked out well, too. I'm not sure what it is about apples and pork chops, but they are delicious together. And the meal seemed very fall-ish to me.

I also got a roast to make a Coke roast in the crock pot tomorrow. Yum!

What do you think? Are you dreading summer ending or looking forward to fall? As for me - I'm looking forward to it, along with the seasonal yumminess that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome - so please let me know what you think! The feature is a little funny on here, so sometimes you have to click a few times to submit. I appreciate you taking the time!